Do you have an idea for a great product or service, but before you put it on the market, you want to test your assumptions? While the study of customer demand in the case of many industries is simple, e.g., through surveys, some products or services are difficult to probe in this way. There is another method for this – MVP.
What is an MVP?
MVP, or Minimum Viable Product, is your product, service, offer, or program that you want to test in a form with the minimum amount of functions necessary to launch on the market. It is a kind of prototype that you present to future customers to see if it will meet their expectations and needs. Therefore, MVP contains only the main features of the final version of the product, and its creation requires relatively little time and money.
The main goal is to collect feedback from customers, i.e., information about how the product or service was used, what additional elements they expect, and whether they would decide on the full version of the product. It also often happens that the customer is unaware that he is currently using MVP. In any case, MVP development is a must for all startups.
Why do an MVP test?
Launching a new product is not an easy task. The problem is competition, reaching your target group, advertising and appropriate marketing activities, and customer service. Many elements make up the success of a given product or service, which is associated with a lot of time and money. To minimize both of these elements, an MVP is used. What are the benefits?
- Confronting your idea with reality. Thanks to the ability to spot errors at this stage, they can be avoided in the future by introducing the actual product to the market.
- Using the collective intelligence of MVP users to refine the project in areas you may not have even thought of before.
- The interest of future users in the product and reaching potential partners who, after using MVP, can decide to support the full version of the product or service.
- Giving up the idea of creating a given product or service if the MVP prototype meets recipients’ lack of interest and response.
In which industries is it worth using MVP?
There is no clear answer to this question. This possibility was used by the creators of, e.g., Dropbox, Uber, or Airbnb. It is a solution that works well for various ideas but is especially often used in the IT industry. Creating a landing page or prototype of your program can help you collect feedback from future users. A website with Node js is also a nice solution.
Creating an MVP
- 1st step: think about what features and functions are crucial to your idea. Don’t deal with the details at this stage; the time will come later.
- 2nd step: define how you measure the success of your product or service; it will depend on how the MVP will be designed. For example, if your goal is to create an online course page, you will examine the interest in the number of entries, newsletter subscriptions, and interest in specific courses. Therefore, there must be elements in your prototype that will make this possible.
- 3rd step: create an MVP yourself or turn to a company that knows how to effectively build such a prototype that will not only serve you to test your idea but also become the basis for building the final project.
How to create an MVP together with SECL?
SECL professionals start creating a prototype of the client’s application by defining his expectations and needs. They consult all the application details so that the MVP contains all the necessary details and key elements at this stage of the project.
Then, based on guidelines from the client, guys create a clickable mock-up in which the customer can make changes. During this stage, they design the solution’s appearance, considering the principles of user experience, user interface, and SEO. In this regard, they also offer consultations and assistance.
Then, together with the client, professionals discuss the advantages and disadvantages of technologies planned to create applications, including programming language or license selection. For this purpose, the consultant consults with programmers or other specialists with appropriate knowledge. This stage is followed by coding, i.e., MVP programming and solution tests. The product is available online and installed on any server.
Then the customer receives the source code and ownership of the developed prototype, which he can then make available to his target group. After collecting feedback, SECL professionals or any programming company of your choice can take care of completing the application. This is the most basic description of MVP creation: understandably, stages may be different. In any case, everything is discussed with the client in advance, so you have nothing to worry about: experienced guys from SECL will take proper care of you.
To sum up
MVP is a chance to see if your product or service can succeed. Performing such a test will not give you 100% certainty, but it will allow you to probe the reaction to your idea. IT companies most often use MVPs, but this is not the only case. You do not need a lot of time or financial outlay to create an MVP, which is a huge plus. Good luck!